Chicken Barley Chili. I posted this southwestern chicken barley chili over five years ago, but it continues to be a solid family. I was looking for a new recipe for chicken when I discovered a dish I thought my husband might like. After making a few changes and additions to fit our preferences.
I am going to serve it with Cheddar cornbread. Serve with what ever toppings you might like. So simple to make and it feeds an army! You can cook Chicken Barley Chili using 19 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chicken Barley Chili
- It’s 1 medium of onion, chopped.
- It’s 3 clove of garlic, minced.
- You need 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 can of diced tomatoes, undrained (14.5 oz can).
- It’s 1 can of chicken broth (14.5 oz).
- It’s 1 of jar/can tomato sauce OR salsa 16 oz – 20 oz.
- Prepare 4 cup of water.
- You need 1 cup of Quaker Medium Barley.
- You need 3 tbsp of sofrito (optional).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of chili powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of ground cumin.
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- You need pinch of chipotle powder.
- You need 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed (15 oz).
- Prepare 1 can of corn, undrained (15 oz).
- It’s 1 1/2 lb of chicken breast, cooked and shredded.
- It’s 1 tbsp of shredded cheese (each serving).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of sour cream (each serving).
- It’s 1 of salt and pepper to taste.
I really can't say enough about this Chicken Barley Chili. Chicken & Barley Chili is a quick and healthy recipe using quick barley and chipotle peppers. Full of beans, chicken, and corn this is perfectly well-rounded meal. Try our Chicken Chili with Barley.
Chicken Barley Chili instructions
- In a LARGE saucepan or stockpot, heat up oil and add onions. Saute for about 10 minutes or until onions are golden. Add garlic and saute for a minute..
- Add in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce (or salsa), broth, water, barley, sofrito, chili powder, salt, cumin and chipotle powder. Over medium-high heat, stirring often, bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low. Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally..
- Add beans, corn and chicken. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often. Check that barley is tender. Remove from heat. Salt and pepper to taste (if necessary)..
- Serve with a spoonful of shredded cheese and sour cream and mix it all up. We love eating this with tortilla chips for dipping and crushing on top. Makes A LOT – prepare to freeze some leftovers if you're not feeding a crew. Enjoy : ).
- A modified version of a recipe on the back of the Quaker Medium Barley box. Yum – it's good stuff!.
This recipe is a great way to change up the regular old chili routine with chicken replacing the ground beef and fiber rich barley adding an extra kick in da' pants. Chicken Barley Soup is deliciously simple. Tender chunks of chicken, barley and vegetables in a Chicken Barley Soup is the dish my grandma used to make. While we most frequently have Beef. This Smothered Chicken and Barley is a Moroccan spiced, juicy one pan meal made with vegetables simmered with spices like cinnamon, chili, cumin and mint.