Turkey Pie (with a flakey buttery pie crust). This delicious, flaky pie crust made with butter makes a single crust pie, but can be scaled to meet your pie baking needs. Cut very cold UNSALTED butter into cubes & cut it in the flour & salt with a pastry blender (or pulse in food processor) until it resembles coarse crumbs. Making Flaky Pie Crust — It's About the Method.
Well, Cook's Illustrated found that if you thoroughly mix part of the flour with the fat. This is my favorite buttery flaky pie crust, passed down through generations. Here's everything you need to know about making homemade pie crust! You can cook Turkey Pie (with a flakey buttery pie crust) using 19 ingredients and 19 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Turkey Pie (with a flakey buttery pie crust)
- Prepare of Filling.
- Prepare 5 cup of Turkey (dark meat), shredded.
- Prepare 3 medium of Red Potatos.
- It’s 1 cup of Sweet peas.
- Prepare 1/2 medium of onion, chopped.
- You need 1 tbsp of Garlic, minced.
- You need 1 of Salt / Pepper.
- It’s 1 of oregano / thyme / basil.
- It’s 1 of smoked paprika.
- Prepare 1 of chili powder.
- You need 1 tbsp of flour.
- Prepare 5 tbsp of Drippings or butter.
- It’s 1/3 cup of chicken stock.
- You need 1 cup of cheese, any kind.
- It’s of Pie Crust.
- You need 2 cup of flour.
- It’s 11 tbsp of Butter or Shortening.
- It’s 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 5 tbsp of cold water.
With its high melting point, shortening aids in creating flakiness. This classic version has a flaky, buttery crust, a creamy sauce and a hearty mix of meat and vegetables. Plus, it's super easy to make, which means Remove from heat. Top with second crust; seal edge and flute.
Turkey Pie (with a flakey buttery pie crust) step by step
- Prep your meat. My turkey was not pre made, so i seasoned it with salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, basil and slow cooked it in my corck pot on HIGH untill I was able to easily shred it. But this will work great with left over meats..
- If you cooked your meat for this recipe, SAVE THE DRIPPINGS..
- Prep your potatos. Cut into small cubes. Oil a heavy skillet over MED-HIGH heat, and toss in the potatos..
- While potatos are cooking chop onion, and mince garlic. Add to potatos. Stir..
- Add your seasonings. Let cook untill they are fragarent..
- Add drippings, stir to coat. If you have no drippings add 1 or 2 pats of butter. Add flour, stir to coat. Let cook for about 1 minute..
- Add stock, and let it thicken slightly. You may need to reduce heat to MED-LOW..
- Test a potato. You want them to have a little firmness. DO NOT OVER COOK. The potatos will become too soft and get lost in the over all filling..
- Add meat and peas. Stir to combine..
- Taste for seasoning. Add if necessary..
- Fill your pie. Top with cheese before you put top crust on..
- Bake 450 untill golden brow..
- Let sit for 5 min before serving. Enjoy :).
- PIE CRUST:.
- In a large bowl add flour, shortening or butter, and salt. Cut with fork untill flour looks crumbly..
- Add water, mix untill all combined..
- Flour your surface, and rolling pin..
- Divide dough in half and roll out 2 crusts..
- Flash bake the bottom crust before filling..
Cut slits in several places in top crust. This all Butter Pie Crust is simple to make, with a delicious flavor and an extra flaky texture. I know homemade pie crust has a scary reputation, but First, nothing compares to the flavor of butter, and butter also gives the pie dough plenty of flakiness. Plus, shortening leaves a gross film on your teeth. All-butter pie crusts have a lovely, rich flavor, but because butter is brittle when cold and softens quickly, it can be difficult to work with.