Paprikash. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter and add chicken; cook until lightly browned, turning once. Hungarian Chicken Paprikash is a traditional Hungarian dish made from simple, real food ingredients. Succulent pieces of chicken are simmered in the most flavorful sauce, made with the best Hungarian Paprika with a cream base.
That's about it, and all you need for one of the best dishes on the planet, chicken paprikash. Heat the lard in a heavy pot and brown the chicken on all sides (traditionally the chicken is simmered without browning it but we HIGHLY recommend doing so – it vastly increases the flavor of the final dish). Transfer the chicken to a plate. You can cook Paprikash using 11 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Paprikash
- Prepare 2 1/2 lb of chicken quarter.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of butter.
- Prepare 3 of onion, yellow.
- It’s 1 of black pepper to taste.
- Prepare 2 1/2 tbsp of paprika, sweet.
- Prepare 1 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- Prepare 1 cup of chicken broth.
- It’s 2 of bay leaf.
- Prepare 1 of tomato cubed.
- Prepare 1 cup of green pepper diced.
- It’s 1/2 cup of sour cream.
Chicken paprikash (Hungarian: paprikás csirke or csirkepaprikás) or paprika chicken is a popular dish of Hungarian origin and one of the most famous variations on the paprikas preparations common to Hungarian tables. The name is derived from the ample use of paprika, a spice commonly used in Hungarian cuisine. The meat is typically simmered for an extended period in a sauce that begins with. Featured in: The Fresher The Spice, The Better The Chicken Paprikash.
Paprikash step by step
- Pat the chicken pieces with salt and set them aside at room temperature. Cut the onions, halving then slicing thinly pole to pole..
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and melt the butter. Once the butter is hot, pat the chicken pieces dry with paper towels, then place skin-side down in the pot. Let the chicken cook 4-5 minutes untill well browned, then turn over and cook 2-3 minutes on the other side. Remove the chicken from the pan to a bowl and set aside..
- Add the onion to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally and scraping up any browned bits from the chicken until lightly browned (about 7 minutes)..
- Add the paprika and some black pepper to the onions and stir to combine. Add the chicken broth, tomato, pepper, and bay leaves, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan again and stirring to mix. Nestle the chicken pieces into the pan on top of the onion mixture. Cover and cook on a low simmer for 20-25 minutes. Once the chicken pieces are cooked through, remove the pan from heat..
- Remove the chicken from the pan and let the pan cool for a minute. Remove the bay leaves then stir in the sour cream, and add salt to taste. If the sour cream cools to sauce too much, turn the heat back on and heat the sauce through. Add the chicken back to the pan and coat with the sauce. Serve the chicken with dumplings or egg noodles..
More + Canned Tomato, Chicken, Egg Noodle, Paprika, Sour Cream. This version of chicken paprikash takes a few extra steps to ensure the best possible flavor. Searing the chicken produces a more complex sauce while adding gelatin to chicken broth gives it a richer mouthfeel. The recipe is a little more complicated than your average chicken paprikash, but the results are well worth the effort. Rich and creamy Hungarian Chicken Paprikash (Paprikas) is a family tradition that brightens the dinner table.